Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes and Dip

About a year ago one of my cousin's and I made some fried green tomatoes... and they were delicious! The last couple of weeks I had been thinking about them... just needed to find some green tomatoes (not really something you commonly will find in the grocery store)! On Sunday my Grammy let me pick some from her garden and I found this blog Bo's Bowl (that seems to have a good amount of southern style recipes) and the recipe sounded like it'd be a good one, so I thought I'd give it a try and it was delicious! I've made a few of my own adjustments:

Ingredients:
about 8 unripe green tomatoes (this definitely depends on the size of tomatoes you have!)
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 cups milk
1 tsp seasoned salt
a little black pepper
oil, for frying

Slice the tomatoes into about 1/4 inch slices.  Then in a bowl mix together the remaining ingredients to form the batter.  In a heavy skillet heat one to two inches of oil to about 375 degrees.  Dip the tomatoes into the batter.  Then fry until golden brown  on both sides.  Drain on a paper towel lined plate.  Then serve with Guthrie's sauce.

Guthrie's Sauce
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt (I personally like Lawry's salt)
2 tsp jalepeƱo juice (optional, I like the flavoring it gives to add some of the juice from the jalepeƱos that you buy in the jar, but can be made without!)

Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours for the flavors to meld together.  This sauce is not just great with fried green tomatoes, but also chicken fingers, seafood, and even as a salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment