Sunday, April 19, 2009

Won Tons

This is one of my favorite things my mom use to cook, and what makes it even better is that it makes a lot of food for under $20. If you buy the right package of won tons I believe this recipe is inside one of them, but I don't know which brand, sorry. This recipe makes about 50 won tons, and I recommend planning on each person eating about 8 won tons. So, this recipe is good for up to 6 people. I will make it all (even if it's only two of us eating) that way we have leftovers, and this is a meal that I think is just as good cold as they are freshly made (and they make a great snack)!

Ingredients Needed:

1 lb ground pork (or turkey, lamb, or any combination, you can do half and half of different meats if you want)
5 green onions
1 (8 0z) can sliced water chestnuts
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 package Won Ton wrappers (these can usually be found in the produce section, in a cool place)
Oil for deep frying (I prefer either Vegetable or Canola Oil)
4 cups cooked Rice (side)
Sweet and Sour Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce, or Soy Sauce (optional, for dipping)

Directions:

This is a recipe where you get to dig in and get your hands messy (feel free to let your kids help)!!!!

Chop onions (using all of the onion) all the way up through the green. I usually don't use the top inch or so, usually because it doesn't look so good! Drain the water from the water chestnuts and finely chop. In a medium sized bowl mix pork, onions, water chestnuts, ginger, and soy sauce. I usually will just dig in with my hands and get it all nice and mixed up (make sure you remove any rings you may be wearing)! 
Next you will fill the won ton. To do this you will put about one teaspoon of the meat mix onto the center of the won ton wrap. Next moisten (with either the water drained from the water chestnuts or just water) the edge of the wrap (I only do half, I think it sticks better, if you get the square wraps just moisten two tangent edges, if you get the circle wraps moisten half the circle). Next fold in half over the filling. Starting at one edge, pinch the edges closed with thumb and finger. You can leave them just like this, but I like to bring the two corners that are farthest apart, add a little water, and stick together. Continue this until you have filled all the won tons. I usually will put them on a cookie sheet that I have lined with wax paper. What's nice about doing that is that you can have layers of wax paper and won tons.
Heat oil to 350°F, this is usually a medium to medium high heat on the stove. Fill pan with enough oil to cover won tons (about 1 inch deep). Fry won tons (I usually do about 6 or 7 at a time) until golden brown, turn once so won tons are golden on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Serve with rice and dipping sauce. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment